Friday, February 1, 2008

Dance the night away

I love to dance. Brian and Timmy love to dance (and play teddy-guitar along with the music.) Abby doesn't walk; she prances. So when I saw that Abby's school was hosting a family dance last night, I thought it would be a lot of fun. When I noticed that I could also get a pizza dinner for the kids at $1 a slice, I was sold.

We showed up a little early, just after the pizza arrived. We sat in the cafeteria (or "cap-e-teria," as Brian said) and ate our slices. Then it was dancing time.

The PTO had hired a DJ, complete with big speakers and colored lights. Kids were dancing with each other, with their parents, and by themselves. I brought my three out to the middle of the gym and helped them get started. The boys took off like they were on Dance Fever (does anyone remember that show?) and Abby needed some encouragement, but she did some dancing, too.

We had a great time for about 15 minutes. Then I noticed Abby looking a little dazed. I asked her what was wrong, and she said it was too loud and the lights were bothering her. I helped her turn her back to the lights, but she was getting upset. I brought her to the back of the gym; it didn't help. So I asked her if she wanted to go home, and she tearfully said yes.

I went to round up the boys, and when I got back to Abby, she was flapping her arms. She took a few deep breaths, but was getting more and more upset. I quickly shepherded everyone out into the hallway, and by the time we got to the car, Abby was calmer. We talked about how some people are just more sensitive to loud noise (and lights, she reminded me.) I said maybe we needed to bring earplugs the next time, but I don't really have a solution for the lights.

I had wanted to bring Abby to the dance as a social and recreational opportunity. I completely forgot about her sensory issues until I saw her having trouble. The boys don't have those issues; Brian was in his element and would have stayed and danced all night. Timmy's dance card was full, too.

I'm glad we tried it, but maybe Abby's social activities will have to be more subdued, at least for a while.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry the experience was so upsetting for Abby. As far as I know, I am neurotypical, but that kind of overstimulating environment can get to me too. We used to dance in the living room at my house when I was growing up. We'd put on a record (remember records?) of the Nutcracker Suite, push the furniture back, and go for it. It was great fun. I don't think we'd have enjoyed the kind of scene you describe for more than about 15 minutes ourselves.

Anyway I admire your organizational skills for getting everyone there!

cmmoore said...

Hey there - I didn't even know you guys went on Fri night. Sorry it wasn't all you hoped for, but I like Naomi's idea of having a dance party at your house. Can I bring friends? ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a great family outing. Nothing beats dancing and it's wonderful that you introduced your kids to the joy of letting loose. Maybe Abby might enjoy donning a blindfold and giving it a whirl?

Suzette