Monday, February 11, 2008

I did it!

I've wanted to start submitting to magazines for some time now, but haven't done anything about it, until yesterday. (Not including the submission to that one magazine that turned sour.)

I had picked up a copy of Good Housekeeping and actually had time to read it, and found that I enjoyed it. (Part of me fears what this might say about me, but I am the target demographic, after all -- a married "new traditionalist" with children.) So I broke open my Writer's Market and saw that GH takes queries, of course, but also submissions for the "Blessings" column on the back page. And on Saturday, I thought of a piece I had written last year -- unpublished -- that could be a good fit for that column.

So I printed my piece, wrote a cover letter and sent it off to New York with a prayer and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I included the former, that it might be published, and the latter, that I will know if it won't be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! Here's hoping that magazine publishers are better and prompter and gentler communicators than opera producers!

Unknown said...

Go, Julie, go! You're a terrific writer. Put on those crampons and scale that summit. What does reading Good Housekeeping "says about you?" Puleeasse said the long-time People reader.
Suzette