Saturday, May 10, 2008

The two most beautiful words

Everyone knows the three most beautiful words in the English language. "I love you" is what we all need to hear, and hear it often. But I've discovered another phrase that speaks to me even more these days.

"I'm sorry."

Abby has apologized for yelling, twice in as many days. I don't recall her ever apologizing to anything calmly, sincerely, and without prompting before yesterday.

But there it was: "I'm sorry I yelled."

It wasn't the hurried, panicked, oh-no-I've-really-made-her-mad-now, gasping apology she usually does. It was a few minutes after the incident, and she just looked at me calmly and apologized for behavior she knows is wrong, but can't always control.

So of course, I had to apologize, too, because I yelled back. Both times.

I spend more time being frustrated with Abby's behavior than I do enjoying her. And there's plenty to be frustrated about. But steps like this give me hope.

She had to have thought about the behavior.

She had to have realized it was wrong.

She had to have recognized that it hurt my feelings.

She had to have decided to try to fix the hurt.

Abby is beginning to develop empathy. I couldn't be prouder of her if I tried.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

This is SO interesting. Yesterday - Mother's Day - around the dinner table at my MIL's, we were teasing Trevor about 5 of the MOST special words he has to remember to keep someone he loves happy.

The first three he guessed: I love you.

The last two, we all said in unison, "I'm sorry."

Good for Abby. A little goes a long way. <3