Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Checking in

I haven't been writing here, and, for once, it's not because I have been writing elsewhere. There just hasn't been that much to write about.

Just about the only thing that's been new and interesting is that I played piano for one of the masses at church last weekend, instead of cantoring, and I'm going to play all five masses this weekend. The music director is on vacation and I offered to sub when he told me he hadn't found anyone to cover yet.

Last weekend's mass went okay; I played some wrong notes but held it together pretty well. This week's music is easier to play and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but the experience -- complete with performance anxiety -- has taught me that singing in public is much more comfortable for me than playing the piano.

Of course, this makes perfect sense, as singing is what I've spent a large part of my adult life doing, so it's really no surprise. I've been grateful for the opportunity to play, but the toll on my nerves is such that I don't think I'll be offering again any time soon. This weekend's masses will be okay, but I'll be glad to be behind the microphone again next week.

No comments: