Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hopeful

This Friday is Abby's birthday, and we're having a family party on Sunday for her and Timmy, whose birthday is the 21st. We're expecting quite a few people -- godparents, relatives from Earl's side of the family, my sister and brother-in-law, and my mom. But yesterday my mom told me that my dad is coming, too, and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

My dad doesn't like to travel, and the last time he was here was in 2002. I think he's been here a total of four times since I moved here in 1991, including the time he helped me move here in 1991. He came for my graduation from New England Conservatory in 1993, and again sometime in the late 90s when we were visiting him and the transmission in our car blew out. We had to get back to Boston, so he loaded us into his car and came and stayed with us for a week. That was great.

Then in 2002 he was here for my sister's wedding. He had a great time, and so did we. But we haven't been able to get him back here since then.

It's funny -- when I was sending out the invitations for the party next weekend, I thought it was kind of silly that I was sending him one, since he wouldn't come. But I'm so glad I did!

(There, Dad. Now the world knows you're coming. Don't let them down. :) )

No comments: