Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Letter to the Editor

Here is my first-ever letter the editor. I don't know whether it will be published, but I'm so miffed about my missing license plate that I just had to write it. I sent it to the Sherbrooke Record, an English-language newspaper for the Eastern Townships.

The motto of the Ayers Cliff fair is, "Where the city meets the country." Unfortunately, for my family, the city outweighed the country on Sunday.

My husband, my three young children and I had been enjoying the fair all weekend, and our cottage is close enough that we rode our bikes rather than take the car. As a precaution, we chained our bikes together on the fairgrounds, where they waited for us, undisturbed, until we were ready to go home.

But when we arrived back at the cottage on Sunday, we discovered that someone had stolen the license plate from our car. We were getting ready to go back home to the States, and had no idea who had taken it.

We have reported the theft to the Sûreté du Québec and have begun the process of acquiring new plates here in the States. But who, I ask you, steals license plates? What an absolutely ridiculous and petty thing to do.

I certainly hope that the people who took my plate are enjoying it thoroughly, whether it's decorating their family room or attached to a stolen car.

***
The plot thickens: I spoke with someone at the town hall to get the number for the police, and she told me that someone else's plate was stolen over the weekend, too, and from the same area.

No comments: