Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Out of sorts

I've been out of sorts for a few days. It all started when I overbooked myself last weekend. It's like I hate to see an empty space in my calendar, or something. I had decided we were going to put up our Christmas tree and decorate it, but hadn't put it in my calendar, so I kind of forgot about how much time that would take. Then, when I realized I'd be out during two prime decorating times, I got pretty grumpy about the whole thing.

I managed to shuffle some things around and it all worked out fine, but somehow that has put me in a bit of a funk. It's like I can't get started.

I just blocked out a bunch of time in my calendar for other Christmas things that need to be done. Now the trick is not to think, but to just do those things when the time comes.

Every year I swear this year will be different; that I'll enjoy the holidays and not get overwhelmed and overburdened. And, every year, I'm lucky to make it to Christmas Eve in one piece. I did get my shopping done early this year, and that certainly helps, but I'm still feeling as though I'm behind the 8-ball, and I'm so darned tired, too, that I can't seem to spring into action the way I need to.

What I'd really like to do is take a nap. Like until April.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

Sorry, punkin. Just prioritize, and re-prioritize; push things to the back burner when they aren't on fire. Keep the big picture in perspective at all times: when I feel overwhelmed, I remind myself that I don't work in an ER, I don't transport organs for a living. If something doesn't get done, no one dies and it will be OK.

Don't let the details bog you down; they're much too small to have that effect on you. Mother Mary got by with a stable and a bunch of smelly animals. You'll be ok, too. :-)