Monday, January 11, 2010

The Gift of the Monday

Earl bought me a prayer book for Christmas called "Every Day is a Gift." I read a little passage from it each morning, to try to start my day in a good mindset. This morning at 5:15, however, I gave the book a new title: Every Day is a Gift, except Monday.

Even after that reluctant beginning, this was a much better Monday than last week's. Kids were good as gold this morning, even though (or perhaps because) Earl left the house extra-early. Everyone got dressed and did their morning routines without a fuss. Abby and Brian both practiced, and they even had some free time before it was time to go.

One little glitch: I almost forgot to take Timmy to school. Earl usually does it, and I was aiming to leave at 8:30 to take the other two to school, not 8:15 to accommodate the preschool's earlier start time. I remembered in time, though, and everyone piled into the car and we got to preschool right on time.

With the Christmas tree no longer in my living room, there was no excuse to sit around and look at it, so I got busy once everyone was in school and did some general cleaning and tidying-up. Not glamorous, but satisfying in its own way. Then, I picked up Timmy and headed to the gym for a light workout. I'm over my cold but have a tiny cough now and again, so I didn't kill myself at the gym. Good thing, too, because I really noticed the difference a week and a half made. I'm rather de-conditioned.

Then I had an interview for an upcoming article, which was OK, but I learned an important lesson: remember to put people at ease before asking them questions. I had to stop the interview and explain that I wasn't an investigative reporter. Better to explain feature-writing up front next time, I think. Everyone will be more comfortable, and it will save time, too.

School pickup wasn't that stressful, Abby's violin lesson was very good, dinner was uneventful. I taught a couple of lessons and the kids are now in bed. I'm headed there, myself, soon, as I was yawning in my lessons tonight.

Every day is indeed a gift, even Mondays, sometimes.

No comments: