Thursday, January 7, 2010

Settling in again

We're now in day 4 of our post-vacation daily grind, and things are feeling more normal again. After the initial turbulence of re-entry on Monday, we had a couple of unusual days, in that Abby had a doctor's appointment one day, and all three kids had dentist appointments the next. Back to normal today, though, and not a moment too soon.

Dinner is in the crock-pot, my cold is all but gone, and I'm enjoying my afternoon coffee in front of my Christmas tree. It's coming down this weekend. I finally feel like it's time for it to go, but I've really enjoyed it this year, just like the holidays in general.

Other than that one little blip of overscheduling in early December, it was a peaceful and fun month. It really helped to get virtually all my shopping done by December 1st, and to have a master plan for dealing with everything else (I adapted FlyLady's holiday control journal and will never attempt another Christmas without it.)

Some wondrous things that took place over the holidays:
  • true pretend play from Abby, thanks to Littlest Pet Shop. It was such a joy to watch, seeing her use toys as agents, and to be able to interact with Timmy and Brian when they were playing LPS with her, too. Sadly, and predictably, the quality of her pretend play diminished noticeably toward the end of the vacation, as the days without the structure and services provided by school wore on. But, for a few days, it was a joyous development in our house.
  • Epic games of Camp and Monopoly, Jr., involving the whole family
  • A lovely evening dinner party with good friends, gifts, caroling, and the best roasted turkey ever
  • Relaxed mornings for me, when Earl dealt with the kids' breakfasts and I could sleep or wake up at my leisure
  • Another lovely dinner party and visit with my sister and brother-in-law
  • A little family New Year's Eve party, with menu and preparation a joint effort between Abby and me;
  • Two weeks off from two of my jobs. I love my work, but the vacation time really was such a gift, and one I will give myself next year, too
  • Abby's beautiful Christmas Eve mass prelude

I think the best part was slowing down and enjoying the time and the people. I hope I can continue to do that, even as life gets busy again.

No comments: