Friday, December 14, 2007

Blue and white

'Twas two weeks before Christmas, really 'leven days
and most things were cranking along at the Fays'.
The tree was all shiny with tinsel and lights;
It stood in the corner and lit up the nights.

I started my baking today, it is true.
I'm tired already. It's quarter past two.
The snow that piled up in the yard overnight
Got Brian's bus stuck. It was quite a sight

To see the white van on the corner, all still.
It couldn't find traction to get up the hill.
I unbuckled Brian and got him inside,
and marveled that he hadn't sat there and cried.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But my two-year old, Timmy, a grin ear-to-ear.
With a dry-erase marker, so lively and quick
He'd colored my hallway. I thought I'd be sick.

Blue marker on doorjambs, on floors and on walls.
On steps and on carpets, and in my front hall.
With several choice words, to myself and to Tim,
I voiced my displeasure, with this and with him.

On Softscrub! On sponges! On 409 too!
But nothing, no, nothing would take out the blue!
The floors are OK now, the window and stairs.
But the walls are a mess, and I can't move the chairs

To cover them up, 'cause it's in my front hall.
And the passage too narrow, the spaces too small.
Perhaps this will have to be covered with paint.
'Twill be Earl's next project, because Julie's it ain't.

And now I'm recovered, from anger and wrath
and fatigue that came over me; the aftermath
of being so angry o'er nothing at all.
Someday I'll miss having my kids be so small.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,
I feel for your marked walls
I really do.
For my son Paul,
has done that too.
Use Mr. Cleans sponge eraser
for your walls to scour.
You son't need to scrub too hard,
it has magic extra power.

Sharon

Good luck! It will take off dry erase markers!

Unknown said...

Oy!

I love how you can take something aggravating like that, find the sweetness/perspective in it, *and* turn it into a poem. You are amazing!

Julie said...

Well, it's therapy. I really did feel better after writing that.

Coffee helps, too...

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just read this! Way to take something horrendous and turn it into something lovely! :-)