Thursday, December 6, 2007

Simplify, simplify

Thoreau had the right idea. So why is making things simple so darned hard?

I've been thinking about what I can do to simplify my life for the next few weeks, to give myself extra time to enjoy the holidays. So far I've come up with a few ideas:
  • lighten up on the menu planning. If the kids eat chicken nuggets more than once a week it's not the end of the world (right?)
  • cut my workouts short and/or exercise at home some days, rather than take the time to drive to the gym and back
  • stop cleaning the house and doing laundry (not really an option)
  • drink more caffeine and spend less time sleeping (already in place, but not a great idea, either)

But that's about it. Children still have to be cared for, music lessons taught, masses sung. I could stop taking on writing assignments until January, but that's not a smart move when I'm just starting to get some work. Besides, I really enjoy it. And I'm learning so much, both about freelancing in general, and about the topics I've been assigned.

So I'll just keep plugging away, until the week before Christmas when, in all likelihood, workouts will cease and we'll all eat chicken nuggets every day, in a dusty house with laundry piled in every corner.

Not really, but you knew that, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just talked to you...uh...maybe less caffeine, Julie...hahaha love you SBS!!