Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Opera in Tinytown

Today's Tinytown Gazette contains a piece I wrote about an opera audition I sang this year, and what I took away from the experience. It's on page 11 of the PDF.

Suzette Martinez Standring's column is at the top of the same page. I'm thrilled to be page-mates; if it weren't for Suzette, I wouldn't be writing!

The backstory: I had enjoyed Suzette's columns in the Milton Times for some time, when I saw that she was offering a writing course through Milton Adult Ed last spring. I wanted to take the class, but then couldn't make it to the first one. She telephoned my house to encourage me to come to the next class, anyway. So I did.

And it was her help and encouragement in that course that set things in motion for me, writing-wise. Suzette is a terrific writer, and a wonderful teacher and a generous soul. I hope you enjoy her piece about the highlights of her 2007, on page 11 of the Tinytown Gazette.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having known and admired you in your (our) other life, it was poignant for me to read this piece. I'm not so sure I agree with the judges' assessment of you, but I *do* agree with you, that you are now living the life that suits you down to the core. It's gratifying and inspiring to see.

I hope one day to feel as comfortable in my own skin. For me the performing thing is still very much in the air, and I hope I'll have the chance to return to it in a way that satisfies me and doesn't leave my kids wondering who their mother is.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article. Everyone I know is questioning what it is they are doing with their lives. I thought it was just a problem with archaeologists, but from your article I see that it is a more universal reassessment of goals and dreams. The 30s are a natural time to come to grips with reality and decide what we are actually going to do with our lives to make them satisfying and happy. You might not have the singing career you envisioned (forever--I know!) but you have a great writting career ahead of you and you still get to sing too!