Monday, January 7, 2008

Great weekend = bad weigh-in

"I had a great time getting fat."
-- Kirstie Alley

Oh, it was a wonderful weekend: dates, takeout chinese, fireplace time, pumpkin bread, writing, m&m's, singing, ice cream. And I gained. Only a tiny bit -- less than half a pound -- but this was the week I was going to bust out of the EZ (emergency zone) again and I didn't do it. Because I was having such a great time!

I've always thought of myself as an emotional eater, but tied my cravings for chocolate and carbs to negative emotions. Turns out that I eat whenever I'm feeling anything, including happiness.

I eat when I'm happy
I eat when I'm stressed
I eat when I'm joyful
and when I'm depressed

With so many feelings
that make me indulge
No wonder I'm waging
a war with the bulge

I'm no Kirstie Alley
I'm no Roseanne Barr
I don't think I'd let
myself go quite that far

But I'm tipping the scale
just too much to the right
I work out, and like it,
But try as I might,

The burn doesn't offset
the calories in.
I don't think I'm destined
to ever be thin.
***
I'm gonna stick with it
and try hard today,
and work out, and diet,
and finally, pray

for help on this journey
that's so very long.
O God, let my muscles
AND psyche be strong.

2 comments:

Judith U. said...

SO funny you post this. My current "read" these days ...
You On A Diet by Dr. Oz...

Stay strong ... stay active... I feel your pain. :)

Susan Senator said...

This is a great poem. It should be up there with Robert Frost's and Walt Whitman's stuff. It gets right to the cholestrol-stuffed heart of things.