Friday, January 25, 2008

Greek seasoning rides again

Several years ago, Earl's uncle Roger, a Lutheran pastor in Iowa, introduced us to Cavender's Greek seasoning. Not convinced on the authentic Grecian background of the spice blend, we gingerly tried it, and became true believers. We use it most often on grilled steaks, swordfish, shrimp or scallops. It's delish.

We introduced Kathleen and her family to the joys of grilled swordfish when they visited us last summer, and I sent them home with their own shaker of Greek. So their Greek in Houston came by way of Boston, and indirectly from Iowa, if not Greece.

Well. On my recent sojourn to Texas oil country, I told Kathleen that I wanted to look for a pair of boots for my cowboy husband. She found a store, programmed the GPS and off we went.

So there we were, outside Cavender's Boot City, in an uncharacteristically cold drizzle. Inside, the store had everything from flannel shirts to bolo ties to enormous belt buckles, plus boots that ranged from $80 to $1,000 a pair. When a salesman (in full western regalia) offered his help, Kathleen the Texan Imposter stepped in and said, "No, thanks, we're just admahrin' the boots," in the twangiest twang I'd ever heard out of her.

I noticed all weekend that she slipped into a Texas accent whenever she talked with the locals. When I teased her about it, she said, "Of course you have to talk that way to them! Otherwise they'll think you're cold!!" Well, ah em cowld, thankye verih much.

Anyway -- I found a pair of boots for Earl (who was holding down the ranch and looking after the two little cowpokes while Abby and I were away.) And then, when I was browsing around, I saw several shakers of my favorite Greek seasoning on display.

Greek? In Cavender's Boot City?

Then it hit me lahke a cast-iron fryin' pan upsahd the heyud: CAVENDER'S Greek Seasoning. CAVENDER'S Boot City.

So the shaker we sent back with Kathleen last summer was really just goin' home to Texas.




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi Julie, I'm searching for ideas on greek seasoning for steak (after a trip to Longhorn Steak & Ale in Corpus Christi). The only commercial one that I can find is Cavender's - http://www.greekseasoning.com/ - (which is not related to the western-wear store, but a good sales move! And, as a Yankee that's lived down here for 34 years (omg!) I HAD to correct your texas twang... it would be Thank yew verih much or Thank ya'll verih much.
I enjoyed your story on sharing the greek seasoning, and I hope I'll enjoy it as much as you and your friends have. :) Lisa/Houston