Thursday, July 31, 2008

Flitter and flutter

I got back with the Flylady program on Tuesday, and I'm feeling much better, and have gotten a lot accomplished, too. I basically spring-cleaned the living room -- vacuuming under and behind furniture, washing windows, washing and re-hanging curtains. Plus I just submitted an article ahead of deadline, leaving me time later today and tomorrow to meet the next deadline.

The cooking indulgences continue: yesterday I revisited an old favorite recipe for dinner, and also made yummy cherry-berry jam. Easy, both of them, and delish!

Speaking of food, I've decided to take the Flylady/baby steps approach to my weight issues. Since I went cuckoo on Weight Watchers last fall, I've fallen off the wagon in a big way -- gaining back the 10 or so pounds I lost, plus five more. All told, I'd like to lose 20, but would probably settle for 15.

So my new mantra is: "one pound at a time." Translating, roughly, to "one pound a week." I think I can do that without feeling deprived or like too much of a martyr. Because, as I've already written in this space, I love to eat. Exercising is dicey these days, schedule-wise, but if I can just take off a pound a week until after the kids are back in school and my schedule (presumably) eases up a bit, I'll only have 15 pounds to deal with in the fall instead of 20.

And one final note in this brain dump: the other night, when I was feeling so grumpy, I started reading The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson. Very few books make me laugh out loud. This one does, every single time I sit down and read a few pages. I highly recommend it.

No comments: