Monday, May 24, 2010

Music on a Sunday afternoon

My annual studio recitals were yesterday. They're always fun events, filled with music-making at many different stages: kindergartners through adults; beginners through students who have been with me for 8 years now. It's a nice way to wind down the academic year of lessons, and to celebrate the students' hard work and accomplishments.

Yesterday was different for me, as a teacher. Both Abby and Brian played in the recital, and I experienced firsthand the nerves, pride and joy of watching my own dear ones perform.

I'm not Abby's teacher; she's a budding violinist, and studies with a teacher through the applied lesson program at the local high school. I do practice with her at home, and put all those years of my own violin study to work, helping her with little things while leaving the big things to her teacher. I also accompany her on piano, and we played together at the recital yesterday.

She looked beautiful (she always does, of course!) and played confidently and musically. My sister commented on how in tune she played, which I often take for granted, but it's not a given with elementary string players, by any means. She's turning into quite a musician.

Yesterday was Brian's recital debut. He's been picking out tunes on the piano for years, but I only began tutoring him in earnest in September. He's a dedicated little pianist, practicing before school each morning (as does Abby.) He loves to play and was very excited about the recital.

The poor guy was very sick on Saturday, though, and I wasn't sure he would be able to play. He woke up with a fever, didn't eat breakfast or much of anything else, and basically moped around and cried intermittently all day. He was a mess. He woke up at 9:30 p.m., after he'd been asleep for an hour or so, crying from a bad dream, totally soaked with sweat. A change of pajamas and an inning or two of baseball on TV, plus a couple of cool facecloths on his forehead, and he willingly went back to bed.

Then, lo and behold, he woke up Sunday, perky as ever. He ate his customary two breakfasts, practiced his recital piece, went to church and generally was back to his cheerful self. Earl said he didn't eat much lunch, but I think that was pre-recital jitters.

He arrived at the recital all smiles and ready to play. When I called his name, he took the bench like a champ, played flawlessly, and bowed like a pro. My heart nearly burst, and I had to make an effort to subdue the tears of pride and happiness before I could announce the next performer.

I'm proud of all my students, of course. But watching one's own children perform is another experience entirely. I am sure the parents at the recital yesterday all felt the same way about their little (and big) musicians. You did us proud, kids.

***
My brother-in-law videoed the kids' performances for me, but somehow my camera accidentally went home with my mother-in-law. I'll post video when I get the camera back next weekend.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

It was a lovely recital, and a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Abby and Brian played beautifully, and Timmy was so well-behaved as the little brother and #1 fan. We're proud of all three!