Saturday, October 16, 2010

Latest column and aspie update

I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with the library in my town. It's the subject of today's Milton Musings column.

In other news: I'm fighting a cold, and am glad I'm playing for church this weekend instead of singing (piano again.) I'm also fighting the urge to drown my child-rearing sorrows in a giant chocolate milkshake. Abby is in a tough, tough place lately, and battling with her over every single thing gets tiresome. Homework, practicing, getting dressed, brushing teeth, brushing hair, getting ready to leave -- just about everything she has to do in a day, she's totally disinclined to do, and she's vocal about it, and sometimes violent. She's also expanding her dog obsession into cats, and spending a lot of time hissing and scratching. It's no fun.

I am fervently hoping that this tough time means that a growth spurt -- in understanding, in capabilities, in empathy -- is coming. Sometimes things work that way. I'll be looking for the silver lining, and staying out of scratching distance in the meantime.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

Poor Abby. 4th grade is hard enough without the aspie aspect. But it was great to see you both on Saturday, and I'll be thinking of you all.
Returning the DVD "under cover of darkness"...*snicker*