Monday, October 11, 2010

New column premieres today!

This is it! The new job opportunity I blogged about is being launched today!

I'm writing a new column for Milton Patch called "About Town." This daily (M-F) column is essentially a hyperlocal blog about news and events in Milton. The plan is to update it twice daily, around 6:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. The first installment is up on the site now.

I was a little worried about whether I'd be able to find enough information for the column, especially in the beginning. I've been reaching out to local people and organizations and asking to be put on their press release distribution list. I also spent a lot of time during this past week combing local websites. Happily, there's a lot going on and it was pretty easy to write a week's worth of entries. (Let's hope that continues!)

"About Town" is different from my other two columns ("Milton Musings," also for Milton Patch, and "Just a Minute," for the Patriot Ledger.) I didn't ever see myself as a local reporter, but what can I say? God works in mysterious ways. And I'm making it my personal challenge to make the 35-or-so blurbs a week interesting, fun reading -- hopefully more than just conveying information.

"About Town" has a very narrow focus, and for that reason, I won't be posting here every time it updates. I hope that local readers will check in on the site frequently to stay abreast of what's happening in town.

No comments: