Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mom's pumpkin bread

My December 18 column for GateHouse references my mother's pumpkin bread recipe, which I am pleased to share, below.

Mom's Pumpkin Bread

2/3 c shortening (Mom is very specific: NOT butter, NOT margarine)
2 2/3 c sugar
4 eggs
1 16-oz. can pumpkin
2/3 c water
3 1/3 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
2/3 c chopped nuts
2/3 c raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix shortening and sugar thoroughly with an electric mixer. Add eggs, pumpkin and water and mix. Add flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves and mix. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into 2 well-greased, 9" loaf pans. Bake 65-70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

***
These breads are REALLY sweet. If you like them that way, go for it. I've been experimenting with a little less sugar, but I do like them sweet, too! I also use double the amount of nuts and raisins (Mom uses walnuts; I used pecans the last time and they were delish! I also like to use golden raisins, which do not turn bitter when they're baked. Of course, you can make the breads without either, which is how I bake them for my children, who are fussy that way.)

Like all nut breads, these taste best the day after they're made, once the nuts have released some of their oils. Mmmmmm.

These breads freeze well, and make nice little gifts when baked in mini-loaf pans (for less time...I usually just watch them so I don't have a baking time for that!)

***
I plan to do my second pumpkin-bread baking extravaganza this weekend, and will post a picture when I've got some finished breads to show. Enjoy!

No comments: