Sunday, December 26, 2010

Vocabulary Builder Sunday

It isn't every day I learn two new and impressive words. Mark this one on your calendars, folks.

It started out with a weather forecast this morning. I don't usually tune in, but there had been some mention of a blizzard, and I wanted to see whether that was still on the menu.



I then heard the TV weather guy say a fancypants word that was totally new to me: bombogenesis.

The meteorologist explained that it had to do with a rapid decrease in barometric pressure, which, under certain conditions, could make for some very nasty weather, indeed. We're experiencing the result of the process embodied by that fancy word today. The snow is coming down thick and fast, with no end in sight tonight.

The other word, unrelated to the storm, is Zimbelstern. I had been surprised on Christmas Eve by a tinkly bell sound during the final refrain of the Gloria. I heard it again this morning during one of the hymns, and I asked the music director about it after mass. I am now enlightened, and will be looking for ways to work this wonderful word into a column or article in the near future (it isn't likely, but I can try.)

***
Not a new word, but a new concept that also came into my life today is the USB lamp. My sister and brother-in-law gave this to me as a Christmas gift, and it is the greatest little thing, especially for those of us whose eyesight isn't what it used to be. It definitely falls into the category of "things I didn't know I needed."

***
Here ends the vocabulary lesson for today.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

This entry has a plethora of information! :-D