Thursday, April 17, 2008

Overcast in the house

Can it be only a month ago that I wrote about how Abby's good humor and new-found calm was like sunshine in the house? I think I remember it, but it's been gray in our house this week.

Maybe it's the violin lesson that wasn't, maybe it's the coming school vacation week, but Abby's been teetering on the edge of a swirling anxiety vortex for a few days. Yesterday she was swept away by her worries while in school. She couldn't stay on task, would not do her work, even flopped on the floor (!) when she didn't want to do something her teachers asked her to do. As a consequence, she had to stay in from recess and finish her work.

Of course, when her teachers threatened to take away her recess, she responded that she didn't like recess. When I talked with her about it after school, she said the same thing. She stressed that she didn't have to go to the principal's office, and that she just had to fill out a "problem-solving form," a tool used at her school to help kids identify, own and take control of their behaviors.

I am shocked she would act so out of control in school. At home, it's a regular event, but never at school.

Speaking of home, this morning was a disaster. Earl actually had to physically hold her for a minute or so to keep her from thrashing around. Somehow she got it together and got out the door, and I left her in the care of her capable, caring teachers. And calm conditions have more or less prevailed at home in the intermittent hours.

And now I have to go pick her up. There's blue sky and sunshine out there today, but I wonder if a storm is waiting for me in the schoolyard.

No comments: