Friday, April 4, 2008

Response from a friend

My high school friend Pam, who lives in Arkansas, sent me this response to my last post, and I got a big chuckle out of it for a few reasons (see below.)

Pam wrote:
I think the whole situation sounds pretty "normal" to me. We hear Spongebob being repeated around our house and don't always realize that is where it comes from until we turn the tv on the next time either. My friend's daughters occasionally get the incredible urge to yell "It's my money and I want it now!" across the house. From the opposite side of the house, the other daughter responds by repeating "It's MY money and I want it now!". (Do you have that commercial in MA? Because if you don't you can't appreciate the humor in the thought of them saying that). It's just more obvious that they are repeating tv and it's much less purposeful than Brian's comment. Maybe that line just struck him and he seized the opportunity to use it since he wasn't in the mood to stop what he was doing at the time...??? The whole scenario suits the comment and maybe he felt it summed up how he felt about the inconvenience?? After all, someone had to say "gag me with a spoon" before everyone else repeated it.

My reasons for chuckling:
  1. Of course, she's right -- all kids repeat what they hear. How else would they learn to talk?
  2. She's right again, in that Brian used that phrase ("Okay, but it's not as easy as it looks") more or less appropriately -- even if it was rather unexpected, and therefore pretty funny.
  3. And the biggest thing that made me laugh: I am forever commenting on my friend Naomi's blog about the differences between our worlds because two of my kids are on the autism spectrum. It's nice, and plenty ironic, to get a comment that essentially points out that my world is the same in many ways, too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So this is kind of funny, because I thought the same as Pam when I read the previous post. I almost commented and then I though, "Nope, there's probably something about this situation I don't really understand, and I don't want to unwittingly be a jerk."

I recently took an online test designed to tell me whether or not I am neurotypical. (I am.) The interesting thing for me was how many of the questions were ones of degree. I answered no to all the "control" questions (re: echolalia and such) but the "could go either way" questions were way more numerous and way more ambiguous for me.

I guess I just really don't know where the boundaries are...and the test suggested the boundaries are not necessarily always so clear.

Julie said...

I think that's why it's called autism spectrum disorder. Neurotypical gets blurry and smudged in with a slight level of impairment at the milder end of the spectrum. Because of the experience of my family, I'm probably always going to chalk things up to diagnoses. I'm hyper-sensitive to it. But it was nice to get another point of view! (Make that two, actually. Thanks.)

How interesting about the neurotypical test. I look at my kids and think that some of their behaviors are me, just moreso.