Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lessons learned

I've been brooding for days over this unfortunate misunderstanding with some members of Abby's school team, but I really don't know what else to do about it. I've apologized verbally and in writing, and did my best to clarify what I wrote in the fateful email. I still feel awful and fear that I've irreparably damaged what was a very positive working relationship.

The end of the school year is coming, and I hope that things will simmer down during the summer. If not, then at least I've learned a couple of important lessons:
  1. Never assume that a flippant or humorous attitude will come across in an email to someone who doesn't know me well. Stick to business and save the colorful writing for my freelancing career.
  2. Never put anything in writing that I wouldn't be comfortable with the whole world seeing, in the event that the communication finds its way to an audience besides that for which it was intended.
  3. Never, ever, assume that things will work out. Better to be prepared, even if it means working the same situation on two parallel tracks.

Knowledge is power, and I've gained some important knowledge from this whole unpleasant experience.

I still feel lousy.

1 comment:

Vinny said...

It's sooo easy to fall into that style, especially these days where we are writing so much more in a "stream of conciousness" style. I'm so sorry you are in this state.

You have the ultimate help coming your way- time. When you consider the length and depth of your relationship, the time-tested state will endure over the immediate past. Summer is the universal cure.