Monday, March 29, 2010

Abby's social story for Earl's surgery

I wrote a social story to help Abby with Earl's upcoming surgery. Here it is.

***
On Monday, April 5, Daddy is going to have outpatient surgery. This means he will have a little surgery right in his doctor’s office.

His surgery is for a small spot of skin cancer. Daddy had a little sore on his chest, and when his doctor tested it, she found out it was skin cancer.

The best way to treat this kind of skin cancer is to have surgery to remove it. So that’s what Daddy is going to do.

On April 5, while I am at school, Mommy will drive Daddy to his doctor’s office for the surgery. She will stay with Daddy during the surgery and then drive him home when it’s all done.

I will go to the after-school program on that day. Brian will go to after-school, too. Mommy will pick Brian and me up from after-school once she brings Daddy home, probably around suppertime.

I won’t have my violin lesson that day, and that will be okay. I can go to after-school and have fun there.

Daddy’s surgery won’t hurt, but he will be sore afterwards for a few days. He will stay home from work and rest, to let his body heal faster. He might relax in bed, or watch TV, or read. He will have stitches so he will have to keep his body quiet for a few days. This is okay. It’s the best way for him to feel better faster.

Brian, Timmy and I will go to school that week just like we always do. Mommy will still teach. When Daddy is feeling better he will go back to work.

I can stay calm about Daddy’s little surgery. I know it’s the best thing for his doctor to do, and that he will feel better in a few days. I can handle it!

2 comments:

cmmoore said...

Looks good, as always. You're so good at what you do. Did you give it to her yet?

Julie said...

Yes, she read it last night. A few questions, and she's revving kind of high lately, but I'm not sure if that's related to the surgery or not.