Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's all in the timing

This little doodad may save my life.

Well, maybe my sanity. Or at least my voice.

My sweet Abby has a real issue with time management. I'd actually say it goes deeper than that; I'm not sure she even has a clear concept of time, let alone trying to accomplish tasks within a certain amount of it.

I've been contemplating getting a "time timer" such as this for months, and finally ordered one from Amazon last week. It arrived in the mail today, and after establishing it was, in fact, working, even without the tick-tick-tick I expected, it turned my little lollygagger into a model of efficiency.

Never was her nighttime routine accomplished so quickly. She also was thrilled to use it to time her bedtime reading. I personally can't wait for her to use it tomorrow morning, to help her move through her routine without reminding, cajoling or prodding on my part.

The timing (ha!) of its arrival is excellent, too. The Triduum and Easter unfold within the next four days, and I'm going to be doing a lot of church singing. Far better to save my voice for that.

2 comments:

Kathleen Billette-Saul said...

Think I need one.

cmmoore said...

Think we could all use one! Also, for the record, I have a kitchen timer I use for myself at work. Sometimes I set it for 15 minutes and plow through the stupid stuff I hate, knowing I only have to do it for 15 minutes. Other times, I set it as an alarm to remind myself to make a call, meet someone, or get to the train! Glad it works for Abby, too!