Thursday, March 18, 2010

Another success

Last night, after Abby had her snack, she walked into the kitchen. She told me to "stay out" of the kitchen, so, naturally, I wondered what she was up to.

After she was satisfied that my feet were on the dining-room side of the doorway, she proceeded to the refrigerator and got out a nearly-full gallon of milk. I had a feeling that an epic cleanup was going to figure largely in my future, but I stood still and watched.

She put the milk on the counter, reached up into the cupboard to get a cup and then proceeded to pour herself some milk. She recapped the jug, put it back in the fridge, and then picked up her cup and drank.

Now, in many households, this would be no big deal for an 8 1/2-year-old. In mine, it had never happened before. She decided she wanted a drink, did the mental and motor planning necessary to make it happen, and then executed the plan.

I was so proud of her, I got teary.

Abby has her challenges, and they run deep, but in the long run, she's going to be okay.

2 comments:

cmmoore said...

This is absolutely terrific. Awe-inspiring. :-) Must make you feel good knowing that your hard work - and all of her's - is paying off in deep ways.

Jean said...

Julie, that's awesome. She's a very special girl