Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm not a visionary

I am typing this, hunched over my laptop, squinting at the screen. My column a few weeks ago was about how my eyesight is getting worse and worse, yet I couldn't bring myself to visit the optometrist. Shortly after that column was published, I decided I was being childish about it, and needed to make the appointment, so I called and scheduled an eye exam for April 1st.

Wouldn't you know it, but my glasses broke on Friday. Earl and I were going out that night, to our Marriage Encounter monthly gathering, so I dug out an old pair of glasses, with a prescription that was written about 12 years ago.

I put them on and took them off all night, alternating between near-blind blurry vision, and just-a-little blurry vision with a low-key headache.

When we got home, my resourceful husband got out the Krazy Glue, glopped up the edge of the left lens with the stuff, and held the frame tight for about 15 minutes. I let the glasses rest overnight, and yesterday morning, I could wear them again. They weren't exactly like new, and my kids kept asking me what that goopy stuff was on my glasses, but they were on and my vision was back to the mostly-tolerable bad it's been for a few months.

Of course, this morning, I took my glasses off one-handed, which put just enough stress on the glue that the frames came apart again. This time, I was the resourceful Krazy-Gluer.

My glasses are on now, and I am fervently hoping that my optometrist can move my appointment up to this week, preferably tomorrow. Once I can get my eyes checked, and presumably a new prescription in hand, I'm going to try finding glasses online. Another couple at our Marriage Encounter gathering on Friday swears by it, saying that the glasses are of good quality and much more reasonably priced than at a typical optical shop. Of course, once my crazy lenses are all priced out, it may not be all that economical, but I can at least look.

If I can see, that is.

3 comments:

JEN said...

ooh what kind of glasses are you going to get? LMK if you find a good/cheap glasses site, I need new glasses-weirdest thing, losing weight, my glasses are now too big for my face, hahaha, random!!

Unknown said...

Hey Julie,

Don't forget to check out http://www.eyebuydirect.com for some online glasses shopping. I learned about them from the blog Glassy Eyes: http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

Ralph

Julie said...

Ralph, that's exactly where I was browsing earlier today! Looks good -- just need to get the prescription and all those measurements. Thanks so much for the tip!