Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fabulous fête

We were in Canada this week, for the high holidays of the Fay family: two birthdays (mine and Timmy's) and our anniversary. Abby's birthday was earlier in the month, so August is a busy, busy time for us, filled with fun and birthday cake, and vacation, too.

My birthday began wonderfully with my dear friend Elaine's fabulous crêpes, with fresh blueberries and raspberries she had picked, as well as blackberries given to me by a friend in Milton and smuggled into Canada. We added a little maple syrup, and a fairer breakfast never was made. Brian and Timmy weren't sure about them but soon were packing them away, and telling me to get the recipe so I could try making them at home. (I did and I will.)



Much of the day I spent lolling around with a book, admittedly a silly one. It wasn't exactly a bodice-ripper, but it would definitely be called a romance novel, with a heavy helping of time travel. Very silly, but entertaining, and wonderfully restful to put my feet up and read, and recharge by myself for a bit.

That evening we had dinner with Elaine and Arnold. They had decorated their porch with streamers and a birthday tablecloth, and the kids and Earl had made a couple of birthday signs for me. It was so sweet and made me feel very special.



After dinner, they presented me with an outrageously beautiful and BIG birthday cake, à la Française, which read,

Bonne Fête
Julie
40


It was a sweet ending to a sweet day, but there was more. Earl made a campfire and we all enjoyed stargazing and listening to the kids sing every song they knew, at the top of their lungs.




Other highlights of the week included doing some swimming at a nicer beach across the lake than what our access à l'eau land affords, and blueberry-picking. Earl and I got out in the kayaks, too. Such fun! When we came back, Elaine had brought the kids, so Earl gave the boys kayak rides, but Abby took one out by herself! She's such a big girl now.


All in all, a very lovely few days at our petite maison. We are sad that Elaine and Arnold have sold their house and won't be coming to Canada as often any more. It won't be the same, so I guess it will have to be different. And that will be okay, too.

2 comments:

cmmoore said...

Aww! Sounds like you had a super-nice week!

Have to ask - are you reading Outlander??

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect birthday! I'm so glad.