Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fat Wednesday

I'd love to be able to make a joke about this -- like how my body is so adept at putting on weight that it ought to go professional with it -- but it's really just disgusted me so much that I don't even think it's funny.

I gained 4 pounds this past week. Four!

And yes, I had beach food and party food and birthday cake. And ice cream. And I missed two workouts.

But gee whiz. Four pounds!

I have tried not to obsess about weight here (or anywhere) since a friend pointed out that it really wasn't helping matters, anyway, physically or psychologically. But the four pounds have tipped the scales toward obsession again.

And now here comes the whiny part: it's August. Abby's birthday. My birthday. Timmy's birthday. Our anniversary. Vacation. The last hurrah of summer before the fall grind sets in again. I want to eat birthday cake and have a good time.

But it's also stressful, with parties to plan and execute, vacation planning, plus some extra stuff that's been happening. And I'm a stress/emotional eater, as well as a proficient eater in every other situation.

I want to lose weight but I don't want it to be so darned hard.

Encouragement is welcome. Telling me to suck up and deal is not.

3 comments:

cmmoore said...

Set a new goal for yourself; you told me yourself you work best under deadlines. Aren't you going away toward the end of Oct? Set a realistic goal for that weekend - lose 10-15 pounds in 10 weeks. You can do this. Don't quit!

If you blow one meal, don't give up your whole day. Forgive yourself for falling off the wagon and plan your next meal. Don't starve yourself that night at dinner; eat right and move on.

Go easy on desserts. Have a piece of cake or some ice cream or a cookie when it's offered, but don't have a big amount of any of them. A little goes a long way. We live in a country where food and desserts are easily accessible; this will not be the last time you can have a piece of indulgent chocolate cake!

Outside of birthdays and celebrations, don't buy junk food. If it's not in the house, you probably won't eat it.

Finally - and this usually helps me in the tough times - think about your family's health history. The time to control your health is NOW.

Hang in there. The good news about weight is that it can and will come off. It's up to you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Julie, you can do it! The above advice is really sensible. I know you're a perfectionist (takes one to know one!) so I especially respond to the part about forgiving yourself. As the great Sharon once said with an insouciant shrug, "Human being."

P.S. CMMoore, will you offer nice, calming advice for me too please please?! ;) <3

Christine said...

Here is my thought... unless you managed to eat an extra 14,000 calories more than you needed last week, that 4 pounds isn't real. (It takes an average of an extra 3500 calories to add up to one pound of weight gain.)

What is probably happening is two things - you didn't drink enough water so your body decided to store the extra thinking it was a drought, and/or it is that time of the month that all of us women tend to store more water than they need just because we are women.

Try drinking one ounce of water each day for each pound that you currently weigh. Do that for a week or two and you would be amazed at how your body really learns to let go of the extra water. (Until it is used to it, unfortunately, you will be running to the bathroom more times a day than you will care to count!)

If you aren't a fan of plain water try adding lemon, lime, or even cucumber slices to it. (Personally, I love my water with cucumber slices in it - it is amazingly refreshing in the summer heat!)

*hugs*