Monday, October 19, 2009

A few random thoughts

I'm really enjoying teaching Abby CCD this year. I wouldn't want to teach a classful of kids, but a little structured faith-sharing with my own daughter is wonderful. It's proving to be another nice way for us to connect.
***
Brian learned the right hand of "Cuckoo," practiced it for two days, and then learned the left hand. He's playing hands alone every day now, and even played left hand while I played right this morning. He will be putting it together in no time.

For those readers unfamiliar with Suzuki piano study, "Cuckoo" is a big deal. It's the first piece where each hand has its own line to play (i.e., not unison.) The coordination it takes to play a melody in one hand and an accompaniment in the other is phenomenal. Forgive me if I gush about my boy, who is showing all signs of tearing through Cuckoo, just as he did the Twinkle variations.
***
I am the only person I know who can take a walk in a suburban park and get lost. I had 15 minutes to kill before I had to pick up Timmy today, and decided to explore the far recesses of Cunningham Park, starting with the community garden plot, meandering through the pines along a paved road, going up an interesting-looking staircase and discovering a neighborhood I didn't know existed, and then flagging down a state car to ask for directions back to the front of the park, which is across from Timmy's preschool. I felt a little silly, but had been wanting to explore the park for some time, and made a good start today.
***
I am supposed to do my 7-point housecleaning today. I've done three of those points and am totally unmotivated to do the others.
***
On the other hand, I did do some flinging today, getting rid of stuff we don't need or love or want. If it were up to me, I'd fling an awful lot more, but the kids might miss their toys.
***
My hairdresser is coming tomorrow, and not a moment too soon.
***
It makes me outrageously happy when people I don't know personally become fans of mine on Facebook. I'm also thrilled when friends decide to "fan" me, too, of course. (Want to become a fan? http://www.fbook.me/fayjulie)
***
I am writing this blog post because I am trying to fend off a primal carbohydrate craving. Usually the afternoon coffee takes my mind off it, but not so today.
***
Earl took Abby and Timmy to a costume store yesterday, while Brian was at a birthday party, and found some pink cowgirl costume pieces for Abby. Hooray! I bit the bullet and ordered her a pair of western boots last night, after explaining to Abby that she would be wearing them long after Halloween. There's no reason a girl in Massachusetts can't be in touch with her inner cowgirl after the fun of trick-or-treating is past.
***
I am off to do at least one more housecleaning task. Not to eat any carbs.

No comments: