Thursday, August 19, 2010

A lovely birthday

Today was my birthday, and it was a great day. There wasn't anything extraordinary about it, (well, besides extra-good kids, some lovely gifts and a delish dinner and cake, made and bought my my husband, respectively. So, on second thought, I guess there were several extraordinary things about it!)
***
Side note about the cake: Earl said the bakery called it the Chocolate Nightmare. I said I didn't think it was nightmarish at all, and asked Abby what she thought a better name might be. Her response: "Chocolate Daymare!" After the laughter subsided, she tried again, with more poetic results: "Chocolate Dream Come True!")
***
I guess I mean the day wasn't wildly extraordinary. I didn't go anywhere I don't usually go; I didn't do anything I don't usually do. Some time at the gym, a couple of errands, some work, some hooping. I'm fairly preoccupied with some things going on professionally, so that took a lot of brain energy and time, too.

But -- the awesome gift I received from the kids was a pair of organ-playing shoes. I am dying to learn to play the organ, and the shoes are a nice incentive to go practice. Once the kids go back to school, that is. No time now!

When my birthday rolls around, I know we're getting to the end of summer, and it makes me both happy and wistful. Happy for the cooler days of fall and the busy-ness of a regular schedule; wistful about the end of the relaxed pace and the cold days that come after the cooler days. It's a mixed bag, and sometimes I wish I could hold on to these last few days of August, with the chatter of the late-summer bugs after sunset and the barest hint of a chill in the air.

The Chocolate Dream Come True (along with the birthday-toast glass of Pinot Grigio) is making me mellow and sleepy. I wonder if Bill Clinton had as happy of a birthday as I did.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

Your birthday and your cake both sound like a dream come true. I am so glad you had a nice day. Love you. <3