Sunday, August 22, 2010

Taking a breath

August is always hectic around here. We have three family birthdays and the parties that go along with them. Then there's Earl's and my anniversary, which we usually celebrate quietly. Abby had church choir camp, but all three kiddos have been home with me for the past two weeks. I'm gearing up for a new year of piano and voice teaching. My sister and I gave a recital, and had family visiting during that time. And on top of all that, I applied for, interviewed for, and got a new job.

My head is spinning even more than it usually does this month. It feels good to sit down and take a breather.

I documented Abby's birthday party in earlier posts. The weekend of the recital (last weekend but it seems like a year ago!) we also had a family party for Abby's and Timmy's birthdays. Mom and Dad were visiting for that, and my brother and his family also came for a few days. It was great to have everyone here for the recital and the party, and a little visit afterwards, too.

Yesterday was Timmy's birthday, and we had a friend party for him. Since the guest list was rather short (so many of his friends couldn't make it because of vacation plans) we decided to just go to the movies. We took our three kids and two friends to see Cats vs. Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore. I have to say, it was almost universally panned by the critics, but I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, yes, it was predictable, but it was a kid's version of a James Bond movie, and don't tell me Bond flicks aren't predictable! Anyway, the kids enjoyed it, and I didn't hate it, either.

Then we all came back home for pizza and cake. A nice, little, low-key party. And the best part is that was the LAST of the birthday parties until June!

Of course, our anniversary was also yesterday. Since Timmy was born, we have focused more on his birthday rather than our anniversary on the 21st. We do get each other cards, of course, and had a nice, kid-free conversation after they all went to bed. We'll go out to dinner on another day. In some ways, it seems like we've been together forever, but in others, the 17 years have gone so quickly.

Aside from the anniversary, Timmy's birthday and my birthday this week, the other big news is that I'll be returning to the classroom in the fall, for the first time since 1996. I'll be teaching at a Catholic school right in my town, and I'm really excited about it. It's a roughly .5 position, teaching general music for grades 1-8. I'll also be responsible for preparing two concerts.

I had a chance to see the music room this week, and it's lovely. It's in the former convent, right next to the school, and it feels more like a sitting room than a classroom. I need to get into the room this week to tidy up, and clean a bit. Then I can start arranging things how I want them.

I spent most of this past week being nervous about the job, but I'm feeling much calmer today. My mom found some of my old music teaching books at her house and is going to send them to me. I really have next to nothing in terms of teaching materials -- the former music teacher must have used a lot of his own resources. So I'll be very glad to get my hands on some books, music, etc. that I can use to plan.

I also have a few music teacher colleagues who have been very helpful and generous, sending me ideas and resources they use. I know it will be fine, and once I have the room set up and get a bit more organized, I'll be very excited to start.

When I left classroom music teaching 14 years ago, I never thought I would return. The way this opportunity came about, however, has left me with no doubt that this is what I am supposed to do right now. That, in and of itself, is very reassuring.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

This is a terrific opportunity for you and for the young minds you will help shape. You are going to be GRRRREEEAT! (Much like Tony the Tiger.)

Don't let your mind get away from you; keep it roped in with deep breaths and the knowledge that you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing at this moment in time. Those very thoughts saved me from many a panic attack earlier this year.

2010 must be Year of the Major Life Changes for our family. What an amazing time to share. :-)