Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Balancing act

There just aren't enough hours in a day. Such a cliche, but it's really true.

I've been very proud of myself for making time to exercise and keeping up with the house, two things I had let slide for a while. But of course, now that I'm dealing with those two obligations better, I'm not writing in my blog as much and not brainstorming story ideas. Throw Easter into the mix, with the few extra preparations and shopping trips, and I start to wonder if I'll ever write again.

That's not completely true, of course; I have a few little assignments to work on, and I could always work ahead so I'm not writing my column on the day before my deadline. But that's generally not how I roll; deadlines are tremendously motivating for me. The other way of saying that is that I can be a champion procrastinator.

Back to balance, or the lack thereof: I suppose being perfectly balanced, doing just the right amount of writing and housework and exercise and self-nurturing, is a pipe dream. These things, and others, naturally have to ebb and flow; when some take precedence, others have to fade into the background. Maybe the secret to being balanced is to be okay with that.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

The only way life would stay perfectly balanced all the time is to basically live the same days and nights over and over again. Life gets horribly boring.

Our time on Earth should be like riding the ocean. Swells and falls, storms and calm seas, sunshine and rain. If it weren't for the low tide, we would never appreciate high tide. <3