Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vacation redux

I've been back home for a couple of days and am more or less settled. The kids and I had a nice time in Rochester, although we all missed Earl.

The best part, by far, was getting a chance to meet my new nephew, Eli, and do some serious baby-cuddling. My boys are still small enough to cuddle, but not like an infant. I'm long past any postpartum hormones, but holding a sweet little life -- the perfect nose! the little fingers! -- was still a joy. And it was also a joy to see my brother and sister-in-law so happy.

We had a good visit with my mom, and also my dad, who came for a visit on Tuesday. I took the kids to The Sandbox with my childhood friend Christine again, and to Village Sports, where my brother helped them do some ice skating. We again had dinner with my friends Craig and Sonme and their delightful children. Craig introduced the boys to the Wii with some sort of car-racing game, which they loved.

I had hoped to get together with a couple other friends, but it didn't work out this trip. Now that I'm not afraid to make the trip by myself with the kids any more, maybe we'll make it a little more often.

It's the last day of vacation, and things are more or less in order: laundry is done; kids' clothes are chosen for the week; Earl and I have gone over our calendars. I've had four little articles hanging over my head for nearly three weeks, and am almost done with the fourth, thank goodness. I do have a lengthy list of tasks for the week, starting with putting the Easter decorations away tomorrow, and opening up the porch before the temperature hits the 90s on Tuesday. I also have some preparations to complete for Abby's first communion party on Sunday. With everything on my list, though, I'll get it done.

The kids are in bed, the windows are open and the Red Sox are playing the Yankees (they've taken two out of three so we're all hopeful about tonight.) I ran a tiny bit yesterday and don't even have sore hamstrings today. All is right with the world.

No comments: