Monday, April 20, 2009

Visitin' the wild, wild West

Here I am in my mom's kitchen in Greece, N.Y. The kitchen of my childhood, or rather, my adolescence.

The kids and I left home just before 5:00 this morning. I was shocked at how much traffic was on the highway that early. I'm not talking stop-and-go, but I couldn't use my cruise control until I'd been on the road nearly an hour. Thankfully, I don't remember much of that first hour -- just listening to quiet kids and sipping my coffee. We had breakfast at Friendly's at exit 2 on the MassPike, and Timmy thoughtfully got the carsickness out of the way before we ate, so he was fine after that.

Everyone got antsy in the car now and then, but overall, it was a good trip. We're all a little tired but I'm running on caffeine and should last until about 6:30, when I will probably fall face-forward into my dinner. We have no big plans today except to meet my new little nephew, Eli, and visit with my brother's family. Tomorrow I have some writing work to do in the morning and then my dad is coming for a visit. Rumor has it that he's bringing more cookies to decorate. We may have to make a supply run to Wegmans at some point.

More updates from this outpost of civilization as they happen.

No comments: