Tuesday, April 28, 2009

In like Flynn

Earl was elected as a town meeting member today. It's his first elected post, to my knowledge.

He's no stranger to town politics, although he's previously acted only in the capacity of a concerned citizen, and mostly with regard to the public schools. He's very interested in government and politics in general, however, and I suppose it was only a matter of time before he became more formally involved.

When we were dating, I was shocked (well, appalled, really) at how into politics Earl was. I come from a very non-political family, which had slight leanings toward the right but no passionate feelings to speak of on the subject. It was quite the culture shock to discover that my boyfriend not only had passionate (conservative) political feelings, but had no qualms about discussing them, even with my apolitical family.

I worried what his political ambitions would mean for our future. I distinctly remember telling him when we were engaged that I wouldn't make a very good first lady, even of Massachusetts. He told me not to worry about it, so I didn't.

I remain unworried. We're not talking Major Political Step here. It's Town Meeting. It's important, and I'm glad he's been elected, but it probably won't change our lives all that much, except when Town Meeting is actually in session. Abby was worried that we'd have to move to the White House -- worried to the point of tears -- but after multiple assurances to the contrary, she seems to have calmed down about it.

So congratulations to my dear husband. I'm proud of you and know you'll do a great job.

4 comments:

JEN said...

yay congrats!!!!

Vinny said...

Yay Earl! You'd make a fine first lady.

cmmoore said...

LOL!! Poor Abby, so many changes this week for her, and a move to the White House would be a biggie. :-) Sweet thing.

CONGRATS EARL!! Keep on rocking in the free world.

eileen said...

Welcome to the club Julie. I look forward to Earl's first time at TM on cable.