Friday, November 20, 2009

Back in the saddle for a short ride

I attended church choir rehearsal last night. I don't usually go, as I rarely cantor when the choir is singing, but the music ministry at my church has a special event this Sunday evening, a hymn festival in honor of Christ the King. We have a dress rehearsal on Saturday, but I decided I'd better go to another rehearsal just to be a little better prepared.

I'm glad I did. I quickly discovered I need to spend some time getting my music in order, and that I need to make copies from my hymnal of a few songs.

The music director also asked me to sing a couple of solos, one of which is a beautiful obbligato vocalise over a very interesting setting of a traditional hymn text. I even get to sing a few high notes; a rare thrill for this soprano, who never sings but in middle voice these days.

I've pretty much ceased to think of myself as a singer over the past few years. I'm not actively trying to get performance work, preferring teaching and cantoring to the stress of auditions. My sister asked me to do a recital with her this summer, and I just couldn't even get my head around the idea, let alone find the time in August (a crazy, crazy month in our family) to do it.

But last night in rehearsal, it felt pretty nice to be able to sing a couple of things in my normal range, to sing them well, and to have people appreciate it.

2 comments:

cmmoore said...

Glad to hear you are really singing again. :-)

JEN said...

sounds like so much fun, i'm glad you have this opportunity. Mairi is so funny, she'll pretend to kind of sing all high and "trilly" LOL and go "look i'm singing like aunt julie!" heee!