Friday, November 13, 2009

Did I call it, or what?

Yesterday I posted a link to my review of Cohasset Dramatic Club's "Lend Me a Tenor." (Read the original blog post here.)

It turns out that, wording change or no wording change, I apparently greatly maligned one actor, whose father informed me as such in a tersely-worded email this morning. He reproached me for my lack of compassion for his son's individual situation, which, naturally, I could not possibly have known.

It made me feel bad, of course. I wrote back to the father, explaining that there had been a bit of a wording change, that I certainly had been unaware of his son's situation, and that I try to gently offer suggestions where I feel they are merited, even in community theatre.

In my singing life, I've been on the receiving end of criticism (and faint praise, which is sometimes worse) and I know it can be disappointing to read that one's performance was not universally cheered. It's hard; sometimes really hard. I do hope that this actor (as well as his father) can get past the review -- dismissing it, if necessary -- and continue on to this weekend's performances without giving it another thought.

***
Another writer told me today that she gets this kind of feedback from readers all the time, and that she just tells herself that if she's going to write a review, then she needs to be comfortable being reviewed, herself. I think it's good advice. I hope I can take it.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

Oh, very good advice re: if you're going to review, you have to accept that you, also, will be reviewed. I am glad to hear that the father has since taken a breather, and perhaps gotten a little perspective. This probably also means the son got over it, too, and went on to have a couple good performances, as well. Here's to hoping.