Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stirred up

I've got a blog post or a column or something stirring around inside me, but haven't the time to actually write anything. (Of course, if I spent less time looking up videos from "Between the Lions," perhaps I'd have more time to write.)

Just briefly, then: I was chatting on the phone with a friend today, and I started telling her about how I've backed off on the master plan to become a Very Busy Writer, at least temporarily. Over the past couple of months, I've come to realize that I really am very busy already, with teaching, cantoring, mothering and the writing I do as it is. I don't need to make a huge push to have piles of multiple deadlines every week.

This is not to say I'm not ambitious. I love to write, and want to do as much of it as I can (for all you editors out there who might think I'm retiring or something.) There's no question that I'll continue to write as much as I can. I'll meet my deadlines, and I'll enjoy it, too.

It's just that the two kid-free hours I get on weekdays, when Timmy is in preschool, aren't enough with which to launch a full-blown career. Next year, when all three children are in school all day long, I'll be able to devote more time to it.

I still want the world, but I'm going to wait a year before I start seeking it in earnest.

No comments: