Thursday, November 12, 2009

Big swim

I did it! I swam 40 laps today!

I was going to go for a mile (36 laps or 72 lengths) but once I got to 72, I decided to just keep going to 80 lengths.

I was all grumpy and nervous this morning, worrying that the pool would be crowded. I hate that, and I don't swim as well when I have to share a lane because I'm worrying about where the other people are.

The pools weren't too crowded today, though. I started out having to share, and then had a lane to myself for maybe 30 laps, which was lovely. Then another swimmer wanted to share toward the end, which really was okay, but not as nice as having the stripe to myself.

I'm able to concentrate more on form and technique (such as it is) when it's just me in the lane. Last week and today I started experimenting with my breathing and a little bit with my follow-through on the armstrokes. I really have no idea what I'm doing, of course, but it's funny how changing something will affect how I feel when I'm in the water.

All told, I think I was in the pool about an hour, with hardly any rest time -- just to adjust my darned goggles, which decide to leak at the most inopportune times. I'm a slow swimmer, but all those laps have to count for something.

I might swim a few laps on Saturday when the kids have lessons, although it's been wildly crowded the past couple of weeks. If not, back to my lifting weights/swim 20 laps schedule on Tuesday, followed by another big swim on Thursday.

1 comment:

cmmoore said...

WOWOWOWOW! You are doing so well! You're a shaaaaahk!