Friday, November 14, 2008

Physician, heal thyself

Lately, I've been telling Brian when he gets "stuck" on a topic. The clinical word for this behavior is perseveration, and it's a common behavior among people with high-functioning autism.

Most of the time, when I need to remind Brian to talk about another topic, we're in the van, and he's thinking about the Cars movie and starts talking about losing tires, wanting to make a pit stop, wondering if I'm going to squeal the tires, etc. I usually let him ask a few questions and then say, "Hey buddy, don't get stuck" and change the subject.

He turned the tables on me today. There we were in the van, and he started talking about pit stops, and I told him he was getting stuck.

"You're getting stuck!" he shouted at me.

"Me?" I replied, in surprise.

"You're stuck on telling me I'm getting stuck!"

2 comments:

The Contessa said...

I have a nephew with high functional autism as well as Sensory integration disorder and this happened to us a couple of years back - we still laugh about it because he was adamant and he was in fact right!

cmmoore said...

Stuck on you...oh Lionel. <3

Well at least he understand the concept - since he accused you of doing the same, and may, in fact, have been right. :-D