Sunday, November 2, 2008

November again

Oh, it's November again. I wrote last year of how I love this month, and it all holds true.

Today is All Souls' Day. So many souls to remember: Grandma Ruth, dearest Camille, Aunt Sandy, Beth Krenek. And others I've loved and lost: Uncle Howard and Aunt Charlene; Lou; Grandpa Fay; Grandma and Grandpa Moshier; Sherri; Grandma Abbott; Brian Campbell and Ken Cottrell.

I miss them, and others, but I'm not too sad anymore. I remember them, and pray for them, and feel connected to them. It helps me feel connected in general. I often struggle with faith, but something about the month of the Holy Souls helps me get plugged in again.

I'm not particularly excited about all the school vacation days this month, however. Election Day, Veteran's Day, school conferences, in addition to half of Thanksgiving week (well, that one's OK.) Invariably, some students won't show up, even though I've made it clear since September I'd be teaching on the first three days off. Then I've got my own kids to contend with, two of whom will be perseverating on why we have the day off.

I'll just keep focused on giving thanks and staying connected. November is the calm before the storm, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been far too long since I thought about Ken, and so many others in my life. I've been lucky to have lost but a few, but you feel each one at first. You're right about how it feels, though.

After a while, the memories mellow. We no longer hit a bump on Memory Lane on that day when we lost them. It's been smoothed over, and now it's just a hiccup on the way to the far more important memories- the good ones.

We promise we won't forget, and truly we never DO forget. We remember less frequently, but we remember better.

Anonymous said...

Goosh it would seem to me that you missed someone very important in your rememberance
what about your sweet neice catti who was stillbirth.....ya know your brothers daughter....how could you forget her. that is sad don't you think

Julie said...

You know what, anonymous? You're right. I did forget her and it is sad. So let the record show that my brother's daughter, Catriana, was stillborn. May she enjoy eternal rest and perpetual light.

Next time, anonymous, don't be afraid to sign your comment. I'm certainly not afraid to publish it.