Thursday, January 15, 2009

Caramel heaven

This falls into the "no wonder you only lost half a pound this week" department, but it must be said.

If you like caramels -- and I don't mean the Kraft cubes wrapped in cellophane; I'm talking about rich bites of sensuous caramel decadence -- then have I got a tip for you.

A college and grad-school chum of mine, Amy Young Goetz, has her own business, and her business is making caramels (and other yummies) that will send you into grateful spasms of caramel pleasure.

I first made the acquaintance of these to-die-for caramels in 1987, when I roomed next to her in Knowles dormitory at SUNY Potsdam. Her mom sent her some caramels in December, as a pre-Christmas treat, and she generously shared and got the entire floor hooked.

I recently got in touch with Amy again, and, having made the happy discovery that caramels are now her business, I ordered some as a birthday present for Earl. They are every bit as good as I remember; maybe even better.

Bramblewood, Amy's business, is located in Minnesota, from where she hails. She'll send them to you, as she did to me.

I'm getting all Paul Harvey here, but I know you'll thank me. I still have caramel goosebumps from that one taste earlier this afternoon. If you decide to treat yourself, tell Amy that Julie sent you.

No comments: