Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Getting political for a moment

I'm either a cold fish, or people are overreacting to President Obama's inauguration.

Yes, it's a historic moment. Yes, I believe he'll be a good leader; maybe even a great one. I watched his speech, agreed with most of it and enjoyed all of it. But I'm not getting chills or teary, and I'm certainly not yelling "Obama!" out my windows like someone in my neighborhood did a little while ago.

President Obama is smart, capable and inspiring. I look forward to seeing what unfolds. But I'm not crying about it. If that makes me a cold fish, then I guess I'll swim in the tank alone.

4 comments:

wendy hf said...

I understand. I had a few tears of relief that we've changed course in this country, but I think that good old fashioned pragmatism is what kept my cheers at bay. There is so much work to be done and so many wrongs to be righted. A great, historic step in the right direction, but best not to deify the man.

cmmoore said...

Meh, I'll swim with you.

Anonymous said...

Well...

Seeing Reverend Lowery, who was instrumental in the beginning of the Civil Rights movement, give the benediction for the first black president, brought home for me the significance of today's inauguration. It isn't just that there's a new president (heaven knows I was no supporter of the old one -- sorry!) but that he arrives fair and square, having broken through a significant barrier.

I also really like his message that we collectively are responsible for our nation.

Julie said...

I didn't see the Rev. Lowery. but I think I really may be a cold fish.