Friday, September 26, 2008

Cruising along

This has been a rather ordinary week. The kids went to school, Earl went to work, I taught all my lessons. I more or less kept up with all my Flylady stuff, so the laundry is done and the house is in good order. I've got ideas for next week's dinner menus and will cook ahead this weekend, for the nights I can't do it when I'm teaching next week. All is quiet and calm.

Perhaps it's this sense of order in the universe that made me override my resolve to say "no" as much as possible. Abby brought home a somewhat desperate note from school yesterday. Apparently, no one had signed up to be a room parent. I thought of Abby's poor teachers, with no one to help them. The class list that wouldn't get done! The field trips with no chaperones! The bulletin boards in need of snazzy educational displays! I couldn't stand by and let my daughter's second grade experience suffer because no one else wanted to help.

So, against my better judgment, I volunteered. And in the 12 hours since I did, I've received several emails about planning the first event for the second grade classes.

This is manageable, for now. So maybe I'd better do all my volunteering right away, before things get too crazy. But I've already told people I won't be setting foot near a bulletin board. I wouldn't want to inflict my utter lack of visual-spatial intelligence on anyone, let alone a classroom full of unsuspecting second-graders.

No comments: