Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stream of consciousness

There's nothing like writing for broadening one's horizons. Most of the pieces I write fall into the categories of religion, parenting/family, volunteerism or the arts. But I am in the midst of an assignment where I need to dig deep and find a way to write compellingly about building materials, specifically insulation.

(Cue Henry Mancini's "Theme from The Pink Panther.")

And speaking of catchy tunes -- I was so proud of my student, M., yesterday. He, a middle schooler in Suzuki book 3, taught himself the entire first section of Joplin's "The Entertainer" -- the original composition, not an e-z piano arrangement. He did this in the last 3 weeks or so, and is all fired up to play it on my spring studio recital. I'm all for it. He's playing really well.

Amazing to think that M. was one of my first students, as a first-grader. Now his hands are bigger than mine, and he's teaching himself ragtime.

Must get sleep. Maybe I'll dream up my lead paragraph for Adventures in Foam Insulation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... First I read your: I'm Linked. Next I followed it's embedded link to Foam Insulation and found myself at A Stream of Consciousness. I read that too. All very good, but what happened to the Foam Insulation article? Inquiring minds need to know!

Julie said...

Foam insulation never was put online. You can find it in the current issue of South Shore Magazine. It's actually an advertorial for a building products company, so besides foam insulation, you can learn about heavy glass shower doors, basement waterproofing, and many other topics sure to incite your home improvement and building passions.