Saturday, September 6, 2008

Tropical Depression

After what seems like weeks of sunny, dry weather, we're back in the tropics, and I'm stuck in the doldrums. I've been pretty productive today, cooking a few things for the week ahead, doing laundry (as always), organizing a kitchen drawer and even shop-vacuuming the dryer where the lint filter goes. Dinner is in the crock-pot and the kids are playing nicely downstairs.

I'm still grumpy.

I think it's partly due to the transition of back-to-school and back-to-teaching. I'm still trying to work out child care, which is always very stressful. This child care is only for while I'm teaching, not even any time for Earl and I to go out. First things first.

I've also been bothered by the end of a friendship, which was another babysitting relationship. The funny thing is, the end came several months ago, with an email saying that while this person (let's call her former friend A) liked me and the kids, apparently Earl had offended her so deeply that she had to sever ties.

I don't know what it was that she and Earl were discussing. I've asked Earl and he told me he couldn't think of what could have been so hurtful to her.

I replied to her email at the time, saying I understood, and wishing her peace. So why is it bothering me now?

I think it's because I see another person I once thought of as a friend, who is good friends with former friend A, more or less regularly now that school is back in session. I really have nothing against former friend B (or A, for that matter) but it does feel kind of awkward, knowing that A, at least, can't stand my husband. Regardless of what B thinks of him (or me) there's guilt by association there -- if A doesn't want anything to do with my family, then B probably doesn't, either. Which makes crossing paths in the schoolyard kind of uncomfortable, for me, at least.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Maybe I'm really just wishing I could call on former friend A for babysitting, given my child care issues.

I wish I could just take the shop-vac and suck it all up. Like I did with that stray pair of Abby's undies on the basement floor today (whoops.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How odd and awkward. And, frankly, unaccountable. It's hard for me to imagine Earl offending anyone on any topic; he is one of the nicest and most thoughtful people I know!

This is just a theory, but I wonder if part of what bothers you is the very mystery of it. There's no closure because although you were very kind and wished her peace, the reasons behind the falling-out are entirely unknown to you. I'm sure I would find it uncomfortable, too. I wonder if it would help to ask A for clarification. I know you could find a way to do it respectfully and kindly, as you always do. Maybe it could help to set your heart at ease.

Always with the unsolicited advice.

Anyway I wish you peace. And I'm thinking of you.

(P.S. My security code for this post contains the word "nosy." Coincidence? Perhaps not!)