Monday, September 15, 2008

Family column

Here's the link to my latest "Just a Minute" column, which ran in Saturday's Patriot Ledger.

A funny thing is starting to happen. Over the weekend, several people at church came up to me afterwards to ask if "Just a Minute" was my column, and to tell me how much they enjoyed it. The same thing happened at the Y this morning -- an older gentleman asked me if I wrote for the Ledger, and when I told him yes, he said he loves my column and that he never misses it!

This weekend was the eighth time (I think) the column ran, and all this attention made me wonder if there's something to the saying that most people have to see something seven times in order to remember it. In this case, it would be the photo at the top of the column. My mug is now seared into unsuspecting Ledger readers' brains.

Regardless of the reason, it was so nice to hear from people. Being read, and hearing about it, is the greatest thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome column, Julie! I love the way you bring a gentle spotlight of humor (sometimes a little bittersweet) to the everyday. It's no surprise that people love your column and respond to it. It has a "mindfulness" quality but is totally un-esoteric. Just life, sweetly examined. Brava.

As you know I'm likewise inclined to the simple birthday party. Glorified play dates suit us as well. So glad we're not the only ones; sometimes in Newton it feels like we are.

cmmoore said...

You're a staaaaah!! :-)